Thursday, October 11, 2007

Here comes the wet season...

Hi! I haven't updated recently because I have been immensely busy, which is great! I am so happy working for METI, I have two awesome counterparts who are hard-working and refreshing to work with. Tavita and Fiau'u are a married couple, both my age, with 4 sons, and both are very forward-thinking and passionate about working on various environmental projects in METI. I love going to work and feel so lucky to FINALLY have two rockstar counterparts. I think I'm learning much more from them than I could ever hope to repay. They are incredible.
.
Right now, we are working on several environmental restoration projects with a handful of villages. We conduct awareness workshops with the village- about coral reef, mangrove or marsh ecosystems, and work with them to get village ownership of the problems facing their village (coastal erosion, sand mining, overfishing, coral reef destruction, etc.) and then help the village complete projects, such as coral gardening, Marine Protected Area implementation, or Marsh/Mangrove clean-ups and replanting. I really enjoy helping with the whole process, but am weirdly finding myself drawn to the project planning/reporting/grant-writing part of the process. Not what I'd have expected myself to like, but I have found myself weirdly organized and adept at the networking/multi-tasking side of things.
.
The longer I am here, the more I love it. I have seen so many things fall into place in the past 4 or 5 months... that's not to say that everything makes sense, and that I completely understand what it takes to work in a developing country, but I love the challenge, relish working through the frustration, and am finding more and more what my role could be in this country! I like feeling like I'm finally on top of things.
.
After SPG, I've really felt more of a connection with the South Pacific. I am not sure that I could live forever in Samoa, but I am more attracted to the idea of working regionally when I'm done with Peace Corps. There is lots that is frustrating in working here, but so much needs to be done environmentally. The South Pacific will be hit really hard by climate change (and it is already...) and I don't think enough is being done. Also, I think that more needs to be done to make the people living here more self-reliant and not so dependent on foreign aid.
.
On the topic of climate change, I find it interesting (and refreshing) that the idea is not at all in dispute here, as it is in America. Despite the all-encompassing Christian religion, there is no one who would even try to deny the obvious effects of human-induced climate change already evident here in the South Pacific. It's nice to be in a place where everyone has already agreed that there is a problem and is now desperate to find a solution, rather than fighting over the existence of the problem.
.
As for non-work related activities... I am going to NZ for almost 4 weeks for the holidays, which will be a great break- I'll be meeting up with Lafi, who is one of my closest PC friends who finished his service in August- he will be working in NZ then. I'll also hopefully visit Beth on the south Island, and see some other PCVs who are traveling there. I'm excited to see the New Years from the other side of the dateline.
.
I've also joined the Dive Club, so I'll get more of a chance to dive locally. I'm going to dive on the south side of Upolu this Saturday, and then next month I'll be diving on Savai'i.
.
More big news is the upcoming visit of my Aunt JoAnn, Uncle Jeff and cousin Jana. They are coming for a quick week at the end of this month, we are staying at a really nice resort, and I am looking forward to playing tour guide and showing off my world. Excitingly, we are renting a car, so I am really stoked to drive around a bit!!! I have a lot planned for them, including a hospital tour, a SCUBA dive, visits to several waterfalls, and the typical Samoan Sunday (church, family brunch, nap).
.
Short montage to end this update: Yesterday the new group arrived (13 newbies, all shiny and clean and full of naive enthusiasm!) and after picking them up bright and early at the airport, I walked to the local fish market to get something for dinner. The market is new, and there were about 20 different vendors selling their fresh catch. From the variety of reef fish and tuna species, I selected a fresh, gigantic slice of tuna (probably caught that night)... maybe 8 pounds worth? Cost? $20 tala, which is about $7.50 US! Then last night, I sat on my porch with my fantastic roommate, watched the clouds as the sun went down, had an amazing, FRESH!! fish curry, enjoyed a glass of red wine and some fresh veggie saute. A great night!
.
Manuia tou aso! (Have a great day!)

1 comment:

Village Boy in NY said...

Thanks for all you do for Samoa, you guys are awesome. Manuia