Sunday, February 4, 2007

I just realized that today is the 8 month mark of Peace Corps for me. As they say here “umi tele”- a long time. It’s gone fast. One thing that I’ve learned from this experience (and there have been many learning experiences) is that travel will never be the same for me. When I’ve finished here, I am thinking about traveling around before I return (if I return!!) and the idea of “only” being in a country for two or three weeks is inadequate: After living here for 8 months I know that you need months and months to get even a small idea of what a culture is about- and I could never do that in a two week trip. Peace Corps will change my traveling habits forever!

I’m also realizing how much I need a break- My friend Laura and I are thinking about a brief trip to Fiji in April. We want to go meet up with a few random PCV’s there and see Fiji Peace Corps-style. (Cheaper that way, and we’d probably see the best parts of the country!)

My school situation has been resolved, partly. Apparently one of the problems with the principal/school was the result of the last PCV teaching there- they didn’t want a similar experience. My ministry continues to challenge and perplex me- I am not sure that Western-style logic will ever apply. I’ve also made a good connection with the Head of the Ministry of Environment’s Curriculum department and now am working towards getting a few grants to help add more applicable Marine Science into the curriculum- a project, that including necessary teacher training, could easily take me the remainder of my time here (19 months).

I begin teaching on Tuesday- I think. One is never sure of the timeline of things here. If I had to guess, I’ll be helping with the Year 9 and 10 general Science course- they have a JICA, a Japanese Volunteer, but there have been communication difficulties between her and the students. I will probably also take on the Year 11 Science course- they currently have no science teacher. I may also teach a Year 12 science course, but am not sure. And I am sure that my principal will want me to teach as much English as possible- which is fine, I think I’ve mastered that subject as far as things go here.

A brief explanation of the school system:

Around age 5 students enter primary school, in Year 1. (There is only rarely preschool or kindergarten.) Year 1 through 8 are at a primary school, in classes for about 3.5 hours a day. Usually there is a primary school in the village that all Primary students attend. For Year 9-11, students often attend the secondary school in their district (like mine) or if the family has money, the student may attend a private, more expensive school in Apia. After Year 11, students may chose to continue to Year 12, but most don’t. At my school (which is one of the poorest and most challenged schools in the country) there are about 75 students in Year 9 and 10, 60 in Year 11, and then about 20 in Year 12. After Year 12, students take the School C (certificate) exam, and if they do well, continue to Year 13. My school doesn’t have a Year 13, but about 5 of the students last year passed and continue on at a different school. At the end of Year 13, students take the PSSC- like a South Pacific SAT exam, sort of, and if they do well, they can take a University Prep Year, and then attempt to go to several choices of Universities. To illustrate how hard this is for a rural area student: of about 200 Year 12 students in my district, about 20 made it to Year 13, and perhaps 5 -7 will eventually go on to a University.

I find this frustrating and sad. School fees keep some families from sending their students, unenforced truancy laws, apathy and needing additional help around the plantation also strongly contribute to a poor educational system. At my school, most students perform at an VERY low level in all subjects, including English, and if they manage to make it through Year 11, it’s very impressive. Education is not valued here like it is in America. I know of several University educated people who are now bus drivers, seamstresses, short order cooks… there isn’t enough of a pay differential between educated jobs and menial labor to encourage trying for anything better.

I have a lot of sympathy for my students. I feel like they’ve been failed by the education system since Year 1. By they time they are Year 10, they’ve mostly completely given up on ambition. My school only has a few courses because there are only about half as many teachers as they need, so students can only take English, Samoan, Maths, Business Studies and Geography. (Despite the geography classes, very few can locate Samoa on a map.) Occasionally they get a science teacher there, otherwise students don’t get any courses and automatically have to fail that portion of their standardized exams.

So you can see a bit what I’m up against. It’s a daunting challenge right now. If anyone is thinking of sending packages- let’s talk school supplies. As it is, I have a blackboard and one chair in my classroom- no desks, chalk, electricity, maps, posters, lab supplies, books… I would LOVE any maps that got sent here, regardless of country specified (those National Geographic inserts are great). Pretty much anything classroom related would go to a good purpose.

I’ll be back in town next weekend, when my group will be reunited for our Early Service Conference in Savai’i- a mini break, and a chance to catch up and work on our language skills!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Hippie

Hope all the politics have been settled out and you are down to work. Little signs of spring (if you haven't forgotten about that season) are showing up. Saw the first Hummingbird and Turtle of the year, and all the willows are starting to bud out. going up to victoria with a bunch of crazy biologists to a conference to drink and stand on our pedistal. Velcro shoes, thick glass, and more latin than a catholic chruch. Party in Canada for sure! Just been doing grunt work in a shipyard until its time to go chase frogs again. Have you had time to read "Fluke" yet?

Take care
Teal